Code of Conduct
The Indianola Public Library serves a diverse community and strives to do so with tolerance, fairness and respect. To provide a safe and comfortable environment for its users, the library asks patrons to observe the following standards of behavior:
- Respect patrons and staff
- Respect library property, equipment, and materials
- Obey the law
- Comply with requests from staff
When those expectations are not met, it may become necessary to respond to errant behavior and to mitigate disruptions by temporarily or indefinitely suspending the library privileges of a patron, which includes access to activities, services, or facilities of the Indianola Public library.
The length of suspension will be based on the severity of the offense, and while it is the library’s goal to reinstate privileges as quickly as possible, library privileges will not be restored until library staff is confident that incidents will not recur.
The Code of Conduct applies to all and applies everywhere the library provides service. Parents, guardians, or designated caregivers are responsible for their child’s personal safety and behavior at all times.
The following observable behaviors and activities are not allowed:
1. Any activity that unreasonably interferes with others’ use and enjoyment of the library or with the functioning of library staff. Examples (including but not limited to):
- Creating unreasonable noise that interferes with others’ use and enjoyment of the library
- Sleeping or exhibiting the appearance of sleep on library premises
- Use of profane or aggressive language and/or gestures and excessive displays of affection.
- Bodily hygiene or scent so strong as to constitute a nuisance to others.
- Picture taking or videotaping of people, except at library-sponsored events, unless authorized by the library director or designee or by the patrons involved (or their parents or guardians if minors)
- Soliciting, petitioning, or panhandling
2. Using library privileges, materials, equipment, fixtures, furniture, buildings or grounds in any manner other than intended. Examples (including but not limited to):
- Activities or behavior that may result in damage to library property or property of others.
- Use of restrooms for unintended purposes including bathing and laundering.
- Food or drink of any kind around library computers and equipment. Beverages with lids and dry, snack-type food are permitted in other areas of the library.
- Impeding passageways through physical presence or with personal property
3. Any observable behavior that is prohibited by law. Examples (including but not limited to):
- Stalking, harassing or intimidation of patrons or library staff, including but not limited to sexual harassment, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature
- Theft, including removing library materials from the building without checking them out
- Indecent exposure
- The use tobacco products or electronic nicotine delivery systems on library premises or within 25 feet of library entrances.
- The consumption, possession, or being under the influence of illicit or intoxicating substances on library property. Alcohol is prohibited except for library-sponsored programs or Friends of the Indianola Public Library Foundation events.
4. Ignoring requests or disobeying the direction of a library staff member. Examples (including but not limited to):
- Failure to exit at closing or during an evacuation