A Communications Manager was formally added to the City of Indianola organization in September 2023. As the primary steward of the City's external public relations, the Communications Manager oversees public information dissemination, community relations, management of the City's website and social media presence. This role ensures the delivery of accurate, engaging, and timely information to the public, fostering a transparent and interactive relationship with our community.
Stay Connected with the City of Indianola
- Alerts & Notifications: If you would like to be notified when news releases or fact sheets are posted, please visit the City's Notify Me platform to sign up for notifications.
- Press Releases & Media Advisories: If you would like to receive press releases or media advisories, please email Aaron Young at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the distribution list.
- Community Update: The City's Community Update is an electronic newsletter sent biweekly on the Fridays following City Council meetings. Please complete this online form to be added to the distribution list.
- City of Indianola Magazine: The City of Indianola Magazine is published quarterly by the City. It is mailed free of charge to every mailing address with a 50125 ZIP code. Additional copies are available at Indianola Activity Center, Indianola City Hall, IMU Customer Service Center, the Indianola Public Library and the Indianola Wellness Campus. View archived magazine issues.
- Indy Unplugged Podcast: "Indy Unplugged" is the official City of Indianola podcast that dives deeper into the stories, projects and initiatives throughout the city. Whether it’s discussions with elected officials, insights from City staff or perspectives from valued community partners, at least one episode each month will be released packed with in-depth conversations and real-time information.
- Social Media: Get updates and information from the City and its departments on the following social media channels available here.
Media Inquiries, Interviews and Requests
Reporters, film crews, editors, producers and individuals or organizations in similar occupations are encouraged to contact and work directly with Aaron Young to assist you in scheduling interviews with staff and elected officials as well as allocating resources for filming locations in Indianola.
Get to Know Aaron Young, City of Indianola Communications Manager
The City of Indianola announced Aaron Young as its first communications manager in September 2023 – a new role that will lead the City’s internal and external communication efforts, community relations outreach and overall marketing initiatives.
In this position, Young will implement comprehensive communication plans across various platforms, projects and priorities. Among his duties include managing the city’s website, social media accounts and brand materials, distributing accurate and timely information to the public, serving as a liaison to local and national media outlets and collaborating with City departments, boards and commissions and community partners to streamline communication strategies for enhanced alignment, consistency and engagement.
An award-winning journalist and marketing professional, Young has a decade of combined experience in journalism, communications, public relations and content strategy. He's no stranger to the Indianola community, having grown up in Indianola and is a Simpson College graduate. While at Simpson, Young was an all-conference pitcher for the Storm baseball team and holds the single-season record for most innings pitched. He also covered Indianola High School athletics as a sports reporter for the Indianola Record-Herald.
Young received his bachelor’s degree in integrated marketing communications.