Program Policies & Information
Deadlines are used as a tool to determine whether there is enough interest in a class/activity to invest time and money. If a class minimum isn't met by the deadline, the activity may be canceled.
Does missing the deadline mean you can't get into the class? In most cases, except sports leagues, participants will still be able to register for an activity until the class is filled. Missing a deadline doesn't always mean you have to miss the activity. But early registration guarantees you and your family members a spot in your favorite activities, as some classes fill before the deadline.
- Participant's age must fall within the age requirements by the program's beginning date.
- Participants are not registered until payment is received.
- Program fees include tax.
- Full classes will automatically place participants on a waiting list and additional sessions may open.
- Cancellations: If a class does not have sufficient registration, the class will be terminated.
- Resident fee discounts will be given to people who live within the city limits of Indianola.
A resident is any person who lives within the city limits of Indianola. This is not to be confused with school attendance. City and School District boundaries are not the same. Even though your mailing address is Indianola, this does not necessarily mean you are a city resident. Most programs / classes have different fees for residents and nonresidents.
Indianola residents make a significant contribution to the financing and operation of the Indianola Parks and Recreation Department through city property taxes. These taxes are paid whether or not individuals participate in programs or use facilities. Therefore, Indianola residents receive a discount off the regular fee. To ensure equity, nonresidents (those living outside the Indianola city limits) will pay the regular program or facility fee.
- Refunds / credits for recreation programs will be processed upon request in accordance with the following policy:
- Any refunds granted under the Parks and Recreation policy will require City Council approval and will take 2-3 weeks to process.
- Full refunds / credits will be made upon cancellation of a class or activity by the Department.
- Refunds / credits will be granted to individuals up to 5:00 p.m. on the business day prior to the start of the program less all costs already incurred
- Refunds / credits requested after 5:00 p.m. on the business day prior to the beginning of a class / activity may be granted only for illness or medical reasons or other unavoidable circumstance. A physician's verification will be required in writing. The request must be made within 7 working days of the unavoidable circumstance. Refund / credit will be prorated.
- No refunds / credits will be granted after a program/activity is half completed.
On occasion our staff may photograph participants at Parks and Recreation activities, including The Zone. These photographs are for department use and may be duplicated in city publications, flyers, and on our website (students will not be identified by name). If you have concerns about your child being photographed, please let us know.
Special Needs Participants
If you need special accommodations for program participation, please contact our office by phone or in writing. We are waiting to serve you.
Participant Dismissal Policy
Any parent who does not want their child to be allowed to leave a program site on their own or with anyone other than their parent, can have their child held at the program site until they arrive to get them.
Program pick up permission slips and information may be obtained at time of registration or anytime during the program. Parents are encouraged to be on time when picking up their child. Any child not picked up 20 minutes after the program ending time may be taken to the Police Department to wait there if the instructor has another commitment.
There will be no Parks and Recreation activities when school is dismissed early or cancelled for the day due to winter storms. This policy applies both to youth and adult activities. Class participants will not be called individually when these cancellations occur.
If you are unsure about a cancellation, you may call 515-961-9420. Staff will answer your questions until 5 p.m. After that, a message will be left on our voice mail.
Evening Events: Cancellation for evening activities will not be made until at least 4 p.m.to allow for Iowa's quick change of weather conditions. For more information please view our Cancellations page.
Code of Conduct
To ensure enjoyable and safe programs, participants are expected to exhibit appropriate behavior at all times. Participants shall:
- Show respect to all participants and staff
- Refrain from using foul language
- Refrain from causing bodily harm to other participants or staff
- Show respect for equipment, supplies, and facilities
By their very nature, many Parks and Recreation programs involve body contact, substantial physical exertion, emotional stress, and / or use of equipment, which represents a certain risk to users. It is recommended that you check with your physician prior to participating in Parks and Recreation activities. Registrants in any program assume responsibility for any risk, implicit or direct, by participation in said activity or facility.
If you are new to the community and not yet familiar with the Parks and Recreation programs please stop by the office, 2204 W. 2nd Avenue, to receive a pass to one of our many exciting programs.
Guest passes are valid for only one visit per session and not available for all classes. Try one on us and remember, participation is twice the fun.
Key Card Fee Assistance Program
This Key Card Program focuses on opening doors of recreation events to those who could not otherwise afford them. By using the Key Card, the holder is eligible to receive up to $100 per child per year to be applied to many Parks and Recreation classes, events and programs. Pool passes are also available at a reduced rate. Discounts may apply at other area attractions as well.
Eligible families and / or individuals receive a free identification Key Card which will be provided by one of the following agencies:
- Warren County Health Services
- Red Rock Area Community Action Program
- Warren County Mental Health
Ph: 515- 961-1068