Enjoy Beggars’ Night safely this season
Halloween is quickly approaching, and the City of Indianola encourages residents to continue to follow public health guidelines during this fall tradition by being creative with safe ways to enjoy!
Indianola will celebrate Beggars’ Night on Friday, Oct. 30, 2020, from 6 until 8 p.m. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Iowa Department of Public Health, along with the Centers for Disease Control, has provided some suggestions to keep you and your loved ones safe while enjoying the fall tradition.
Tips for beggars to enjoy the night safely
- Accompany your children and help them in selecting their treats.
- If you are sick or have been in contact with someone who is sick with COVID-19 or is symptomatic, please stay home.
- Wear a face-covering throughout the evening. Halloween masks do not offer appropriate protection from COVID-19.
- Participate in the evening with just members of your household. This means avoid gathering in groups with those from your neighborhood.
- Keep at least six feet away from those who don’t live in your home.
- Use hand sanitizer frequently.
- Do not stop at homes that do not follow safety guidelines, such as wearing a face covering and social distancing.
We encourage all residents to respect homes with their lights off, as it may be home to someone who is either more vulnerable to COVID-19 or is not interested in participating in the yearly event.
Tips for households to participate in Beggars’ Night safely
- Maintain social distancing from participants by leaving individual grab bags or paper cups filled with goodies outside your door for children to take or handing out candy from a table in your driveway or yard.
- Watch and wave at participants and have them tell a joke from a safe distance at your door or from your yard or driveway.
- If you are sick or have symptoms, or have been in contact with someone who is sick with COVID-19 symptoms, please do not participate.
- Wash or sanitize your hands often and wear a face covering.